macOS homebrew package (was: Re: Survex 1.2.36 released)

Robert Jones rob at robjones.org
Fri Jul 20 06:49:04 BST 2018

Hey Olly,

Thanks for posting that. I'm just testing that it builds on OSX 10.14 at
the moment. It's taking a while as homebrew needs to build all dependencies
from source. I'll let you know the outcome.

The only downside of the current 'install from URL' approach is that
there's no version control - homebrew won't check for updates to the
formula.

I suggest for consistency you create a separate git repository on github to
track releases that can be tapped as such:

brew tap ojwb/survex-homebrew
brew install survex

Or installed directly as
brew install ojwb/survex-homebrew/survex

where user is ojwb, and repo might be survex-homebrew

This is documented here:
https://github.com/Homebrew/brew/blob/master/docs/How-to-Create-and-Maintain-a-Tap.md

This does also work hosted outside of github, perhaps on git.survex.com,
but a full URL needs to be specified in the 'tap' command.

It's then just a case of putting the ruby script in a 'Formula' folder.

Regards,

Rob