Survex (and therion) source formats

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Jan 17 03:18:25 GMT 2017

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 05:38:41AM +0100, Martin Sluka wrote:
> > 23. 8. 2016 v 1:24, Wookey <wookey at wookware.org>:
> >
> > survey_1.1 is not the same as survey_2.1 in survex either. How is that
> > different (other than the syntax with @ instead of dot?)
>
> Wookey, I'm answering you only now, sorry.
>
> There is very big difference:
>
> In Therion the part before @ is name of object and after @ is name of
> namespace.

In Survex, you can think of the part after the last '.' is the name of
the object, and before the last '.' is the name of the namespace.

> So you may use:
>
> 1.1 at 1.2.x.5 as legal name of station 1.1 in namespace 1.2.x.5 (station
> 1.1 in survey 1 in survey 2 in survey x in survey 5) - remember
> Toporobot/PocketTopo format.

c.f. 5.x.2.1.1_1 (if I read your description correctly).

> or
>
> 1.2.x.scrap at 1.2.y.7  as legal name of scrap (scrap 1.2.x.scrap in
> survey 1 in survey 2 in survey y in survey 7).
>
> or 1.xx.map at 1.f.19.4.q  as legal name of map (map 1.xx.map in survey 1
> in survey f in survey 19 in survey 4 in survey q)

Survex doesn't have scraps or maps, but if it did in Survex naming these
would be 7.y.2.1.1_2_x_scrap and q.4.19.f.1.1_xx_map.

> Only name of survey must by without dot.

That's a restriction which Survex imposes (though only by default - you
can pick a different character to use instead of "." if you want).  The
flip side is Survex uses the same naming rules for stations (objects)
and surveys, so there's less to remember, and it only reserves one
character whereas Therion gives special meanings to both "." and "@".

Survex models its hierarchy after Unix filenames (but uses "." instead
of "/" as the single reserved character which separates components)
while it looks to me like Therion models its hierarchy after email
addresses.