Error messages

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Sep 19 07:31:55 BST 2016

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 08:27:19PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
> I'm wondering what the numbers after error messages in the log files
> relate to - it doesn't seem to be line numbers.

The first should be the line number, and the second (if present) the
column number on that line.

> The hyperlink to the file containing the error is useful, but I can't
> work out where the specific error is (partly because I'm not sure what
> "end of line not blank" implies - all the ends of the lines in the
> file concerned look the same...)

Where possible, aven tries to open the editor with the cursor on the
line in question, and with some editors at the right column too.  If
it doesn't with the editor you're using and there's a way to get it
to, we can add more cases to the list easily.

"End of line not blank" means that cavern finds all the data it wanted
but there's still more stuff.  The column number should show where it
got to.

Things are likely to be clearer with the next release, as you are
now shown the line's contents, along with a highlighted section of
the line when there is column information (and more errors and warnings
now have column information) - e.g.:

https://survex.com/~olly/aven-log.png

Coming soon ... I just needs to finish arguing with ffmpeg, which has
changed its API yet again.