Export formats - JSON

Martin Sluka martinsluka at mac.com
Fri Jun 24 08:26:21 BST 2016

> 23. 6. 2016 v 19:40, Philip Schuchardt <vpicaver at gmail.com>:
>
> I use survex as the loop closure algorithm in
> Cavewhere and I have drawn / written several km of cave in Therion.  I just
> find the Survex / Therion process fairly tedious, time-consuming, and
> error-prone.

I understand Phil now, I think. It should be a big problem be in China with zillions km of undocumented caves as a caver.

But Therion is possible to use in very similar way as Cavewhere, just to crop sketches in a image editor, save them as gif or png with transparency, import as background sketches, calibrate by stations and export as PDFs with parameter -sketches on. I hope in next release there will be added possibility to export xvi images too.

>  I shouldn't have to "compile" a cave map; we no longer live in
> 1994.

Image, that TeX was wrote in end of 70th, Metafont too, MetaPost in 80th, Toporobot somewhere in 70th, UNIX in end of 60th…

TeX files you must „compiled“ till now to see result but it is still the best typesetting editor for many jobs from chess diagram typesetting up to hypothetical vocabulary of old Chinese and cuneiform script :)

And as a very fun is fact, that the gold rule of old programmers - the format is basis and applications are to interpret it, which was destroyed by Balmer and Gates (and others "genial managers") is back again - by JSON.

We are still in 1994 and before, and rules discovered and defined in past are still valid.

Just my opinion as an old man.

Martin