Export formats - JSON

Graham Mullan graham.mullan at coly.org.uk
Thu Jun 23 12:49:53 BST 2016

I think this exchange between Martin and Philip highlights a problem which some of us and hoped had been put to rest by Survex and Therion some time ago.

Data in Survex's format can be read and understood very easily by people with no computer experience at all. One does have to think about how you organise data, but again that is a human issue not a programming one, and what is output is not as detailed as one would like, but is still very usable.

Therion uses an almost identical data entry pattern for basic data and organisation. Its basic pattern remains easily readable and understandable by people. The drawing overlay is rather more complicated, but as the user interface that produces it is graphical it remains easy for a person (me) to see, grasp and edit.

I am willing to bet, however, that a th2 file does not have a structure that is, to quote Philip "a standard format that can be used in pretty much any  programming language."

The question becomes: For whom do we wish to make life easier, computer programmers or cave surveyors? As a semi-literate computer person but one who has taught Survex and Therion to a number of surveyors, I am pretty sure that there are more surveyors than there are survey software writers out there and those are the people that we need to keep on board.

And, after 8 years of using Therion and about 18 using Survex, I am still spending time entering historic data onto computers. These jobs can require much thought to work out exactly what was being recorded and how. On the latest one I am still trying to work out how the two surveyors knew which were backsights and which were foresights. Having to go back in and edit their data line by line is straightforward in a text editor. It'd be a nightmare in a JSON format.

Just my two penn'orth.

Graham