Export formats - JSON

Philip Schuchardt vpicaver at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 23:07:41 BST 2016

I'm trying to replace the current binary format in Cavewhere to use
Metacave format. Currently, Cavewhere uses SQLite and ProtoBuffers to
save and load data. Both of these are binary formats. Although the
format works well, it's not future proof (as many people have iterated
on this list). Metacave format isn't really here to "rule them all",
it's here to replace Cavewhere's binary format. I just wanted to share
something new with people.

Cavewhere is a wizzy program and it saves me time. It uses survex in
the background for loop closure and can even export and import survex
files. Several people use it to convert survex files to compass files.
I've rewritten a survex parser for importing survex data in Cavewhere
and it was a total pain in the ass (and it doesn't fully support the
survex format).

I would gladly port survex's parsing into a library, if give the right
direction. I would require survex to use the library so it stays
maintained.