Survex 1.2.21 released

Olly Betts olly at pippikin
Thu Jul 30 14:15:01 BST 2015

Survex 1.2.21 is now available:

http://survex.com/download.html

Some highlights of this release:

* New *declination command with support for setting the declination
  automatically from the IGRF model based on the survey date.

* Fix *fix in coordinate systems using latitude and longitude.

* Improvements to aven's KML export (legs and placemarkers).

* Export to textual formats from aven now works in locales with ',' for
  decimal point.

See the NEWS file entry below for a full list.

Here are SHA1 checksums should you want to verify the integrity of the
files:

e9c7cdc1c18b27778fb3d17a9e4adebf3b184430  survex-1.2.21.tar.gz

There's no Microsoft Windows or Mac OS X build this time.

There are also detached GPG signatures in the download directory:
http://survex.com/software/1.2.21/

There are "release notes" on the wiki, which I'll try to keep updated
with any issues found, so take a look there for the latest information:

http://trac.survex.com/wiki/ReleaseNotes/1.2.21

Please report any issues you find which are not covered in the release
notes to the bug tracker (http://trac.survex.com/).

Changes in 1.2.21 (2015-07-28):

* aven:

  + Fix exporting to KML and other text-based formats to always use "." for the
    decimal separator - previously "," would be used when the user's locale
    specified this for the decimal separator.  Reported by Jan Schorn.

  + Implement exporting of survey legs in KML format.

  + Put "paddle" placemarker icons on stations in exported KML files, using the
    same colour coding for entrances, fixed points and exported points as aven
    does.

  + Remove the "Coordinate projection" field from the print dialog, as it isn't
    relevant there.  Reported by Wookey.

  + Fix the initial scale for small caves (since 1.2.18 the initial scale has
    been too small).  Reported by Wookey.

  + Don't rescale if the same file is reloaded, but adjust the volume diameter
    as appropriate.

  + Use wxGetenv() to read the SURVEXEDITOR variable, so we can accept Unicode
    values on Windows.

* cavern:

  + Fix coordinate systems using latitude and longitude - PROJ.4 wants these in
    radians, but we were passing degrees, which would generally cause the
    conversion to the output coordinate system to fail.  Reported by Wookey.

  + Fix *fix with standard deviations when *cs is in use, give an error for use
    of *fix with standard deviations before *cs.

  + Add new *declination command with support for setting the declination
    automatically from the IGRF model based on the survey date.  Thanks to the
    Therion developers for the IGRF support code, which we're reusing.
    Fixes #54, reported by Wookey.

  + Allow the units for the zero error to be specified, making it easier to
    specify calibration with a scale if you measure the zero error externally
    (rather than using the instrument itself).  Fixes #61, reported by Andrew
    Atkinson.

  + Report the error from PROJ when coordinate conversion fails as part of the
    actual error rather than on a separate line.

  + Fix use after free after *solve.  This only occurs if a leg between the two
    exact same stations appears right before and right after the *solve, which
    is unlikely in real data, but the testsuite has an instance of this.  This
    was introduced by the repeat leg averaging added in 1.2.17.

  + Fix small memory leak when solving network.  This doesn't really matter
    when solving at the end of processing as cavern will exit after that, but
    if *solve is used we continue processing after solving.

* Remove compatibility handling for specifying a country variant of a language
  in SURVEXLANG using "-" with a lower case country code (e.g. "en-us") - we
  changed to the standard "en_US" way back in 2001.  This code was mangling
  character sets with a "-" in, and is no longer useful.

* Ignore any "@<something>" modifier in the language code.

* Improve documentation of magnetic declination handling, and cover the new
  "*DECLINATION" command.

* Document aven's command line options in the manual and its man page.
  Reported by Jenny Black.

* Point to '*case' and '*truncate' from the 'SEE ALSO' sections of each other's
  documentation.

* Remove references to SpeleoGen from the documentation - it hasn't been
  updated for many years, and can't read recent versions of the .3d format.

* Strip documentation references to obsolete versions of MS Windows.

* doc/HACKING.htm: Update list of debian packages to install to build from git.