Python script that reads 3d file and writes a javascript file

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri May 23 11:27:04 BST 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 07:30:35PM +1000, Michael Lake wrote:
> My modified version of David Molnar's and Wookies python script that
> turns the 3d into json is at:
> http://www.speleonics.com.au/mikes/software/3dtojson.py
> This prints lablels fine but still has the E-W swapped. It might be a
> simple matter of changing sign of some of the variables in that python
> script.

It looks to me like it is the viewer that's wrong - e.g. if I look at
this, then I can't simultaneously have North up the screen, East to the
left, and the Z axis such that 0 is nearest to me:

http://dm516.user.srcf.net/loser/squiggle_76.html

And if I rotate it so I'm looking from underneath, then I see what looks
to be a correct plan for that cave.

The problem looks to be that the axes have the wrong handedness, so in
fact flipping any axis will fix this, as would swapping any pair of
axes.  The cause may be that the coordinates are written out in the
js as (east, height, north) (aka (x,z,y)) rather than (east, north,
height) (aka (x,y,z)).

I notice it keeps the '[' and ']' delimiters around the labels, which
are just in the dump3d output to help distinguish the station name
visually from the other data, and aren't part of the station name.  It
also talks about "3ddump" in the comments, which may confuse people
trying to run it, as the tool is actually called "dump3d".

Wookey (or David if he's subscribed) - what's the licence for the
convertor and the viewer?  I can't see one anywhere for either,
which isn't very helpful.  And is there a repo for it somewhere?