Python script that reads 3d file and writes a javascript file

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu May 22 06:48:40 BST 2014

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 02:19:20PM +1000, Michael Lake wrote:
> I wrote a while ago ...
>
> > Thanks Wookey. Everything is now working ace :-)
> > I just had to add --enable-testprogs to the configure script and then
> > dump3d was built.

As of Survex 1.2.7, dump3d is built as standard, and --enable-testprogs
no longer does anything.

> > Have now a 3d file being rendered and able to be
> > rotated. Its really neat :-) I think the js functions are the tricky bits.
> > The python is pretty understandable.
>
> Not everything is working OK though.
> 1. labels are not appearing
>    The 3d ASCII has labels at the end of NODE lines but the python code
>    in ltconv.py does not read those lines only MOVE and LINE statements.

I don't seem to have a copy of ltconv.py, but I suspect it needs
updating - in recent versions, dump3d outputs additional information at
the end of some lines, and it sounds like this script is rejecting such
lines.

> 2. east and west are swapped. It shows OK in Aven but swapped in
> Squiggle. The js is too complex for me.

Looks OK in the dump3d output to me - test.east is at (50,0,0), so
positive X is East.

> Also a true east leg does not show, you need to set it to 90.1

Again, looks OK in the dump3d output.