Survex/Aven on Windows 7 tablet

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu May 15 06:30:54 BST 2014

Hi Hugh,

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 11:14:59AM +0100, HughStL wrote:
> Downloaded 1.2.11 again and installed.... still no legend on the
> scale bar

Jenny reports this works OK on desktop Windows 7.  It could be due
to a difference in the graphics card and/or its drivers though.

Can you send a screenshot so I can see if everything else looks as
expected?  If you aren't sure how to take a screenshot, this URL
should help:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/take-screen-capture-print-screen#take-screen-capture-print-screen=windows-7

> same difficulty with selecting station points

In 1.2.13, I've added some features which might help here.  By default,
the threshold for how close the pointer (i.e. your finger/stylus) needs
to be to a station is now 7 pixels instead of 5.  If you press F2, then
this toggles to a larger value (and back again if you press F2 again).

You can also see a visualisation of the "hit test grid", which is used
to efficiently find the station nearest to the cursor - press F3 to
toggle that on and off.  Currently only stations in the box under the
pointer are considered, so you may need to be closer than the threshold
if you happen to be close to the edge of a box (this is a bug, but is
much more of an issue with a larger threshold value).

If these don't help, can you try to concentrate on not moving the stylus
horizontally while touching the screen?  The issue might be that the
touch is getting treated as a very short drag instead of a click.  If
we can determine that is the issue, I could add a threshold for this
case.

> and no means of 'escaping' the measuring line  (menu option greyed
> out).

Does pressing "Escape" cancel the line?

> The thing with 1.2.11 is it throws up an error EVERY time you exit
> Aven.

With 1.2.13, if you press F4 before you exit Aven, do you still get that
error?

> Also I've found that after processing a file and getting a new
> aven file, double clicking on said Aven file launches Aven but Aven
> crashes (with same error message) before displaying anything.
>
> "aven.exe has stopped working
> A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will
> close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Jenny reports this works OK on desktop Windows 7 too.  Does this still
happen for you with 1.2.13?