Surveys without centrelines

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Sep 7 08:31:38 BST 2013

On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 03:46:00PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> I guess the easiest way to deal with this without changing the
> codebase much is to allow both:
> * data triangular from to length fromdepth todepth
> and
> * data triangular from to length bearing fromdepth todepth
>
> (I use triangular because I think the same data entry syntax can be
> used for trilateration and triangulation: just swap 'length' for
> 'angle', although actually doing that is a big deal because survex
> internal data structures are all about 'legs' not 'relations between
> legs', which is why we've not had * DATA TRIANGULATION (I believe, but
> defer to Ol) ).
>
> A quick look at the code suggests that adding this format in would be
> quite simple. What I'm not sure about is how the data processing bit
> would cope. Ol?

The parsing part probably isn't hard, but handling such data properly
after that probably is - I think it would require a fairly major rework
of the loop closing code.

But then converting into fake tape+compass+clino data with a spreadsheet
wouldn't really result in Survex handling closures involving the fake
data and real tape+compass+clino data properly - the error model is
different.