Surveys without centrelines

kevin dixon kdxn at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 6 13:39:09 BST 2013

The term for this type of survey is Trilateration.

One problem you will have with this is that where there are only two distances to a point, there will be two valid position solutions, equidistant either side of the baseline that has been used to measure from. In this situation, you will need to have some way of telling the algorithm which side of the baseline is correct.

Should this unusual survey method be added to Survex ?
Would it be better to do the trilateration calculations in excel and then output data suitable for use in Therion/Survex ?

Kevin Dixon