Diving data loop closures altering depths

Footleg drfootleg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 10:43:23 BST 2013

Yes that was a typo. Should have been:
Station entrance.030 is at depth -5.20

I follow the argument you make Olly, but there are a couple of things
which do not make sense.
1) Why does having data in diving format change the positions of
stations with a loop closure compared to data for exactly the same
loop in normal format?
2) If diving data is dealt with differently, then it is not a valid
assumption to treat errors in depth readings in the same way as errors
in tape and compass.
The tape and compass errors are cumulative, so it is valid to adjust
each station position with respect to the last station in adjusting
for loop closure errors. But the depth readings are absolute, so
errors to not accumulate. If you adjust the depth of each station
relative to the depth of the last station then the depths will change
well outside the relative errors of their measurements the longer the
loop.

To deal with depths in loop closures of diving data, the depths should
be adjusted relative to the two ends of a section where depths are
fixed by other data, so it would not be possible for raising one end
of a section of diving data to result in stations getting deeper along
that section. Once the depths have been adjusted to deal with errors
in the closure, the other dimensions should be adjusted while
constraining the depths to the adjusted values they were assigned in
the depth adjustments step previously.

Footleg