Print preview, LRUDs on vertical caves

kevin dixon kdxn at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 15 21:55:32 BST 2013

3D Modelling packages to consider for ideas :

MeshLab
CloudCompare
PointCloud LIbrary http://pointclouds.org/
Scanalyze http://www.graphics.stanford.edu/software/scanalyze/
3DTK (3D Toolkit) http://slam6d.sourceforge.net/
GNU Triangulated Surface Library http://gts.sourceforge.net/index.html
Robert Schneiders List http://www.robertschneiders.de/meshgeneration//software.html

Point Cloud Library may be a good start point.

With mine software such as Vulcan, you manually create a set of parallel cross sections which are then used to create the mesh. Not ideal because of the point interpolation and decimation of dense data.

Meshlab will do complex shapes but takes a lot of effort trying different decimation scenarios, meshing algorithms and parameters.

Cave Survey is a very sparse point cloud problem which suggests a solution specific to cave survey rather than using general point cloud algorithms.
Perhaps use the defined cave centrelines and blow up a tube ballon to fit the points/splays/LRUD to define the tube surface triangular mesh. Do this for each set of centrelines and then do a secondary operation to join all the meshes with a check that the junctions do not intersect splay/point/LRUD rays.
Large chambers could be a problem if a closed traverse has been done round the edge as this might result in a torus shape. Might need some parameter to be set for the tube mesh joining to create a large chamber from adjacent tubes.

Hope the above is helpful.

Kevin Dixon