Cavern in Feet

John B. Halleck john.halleck at utah.edu
Fri Oct 26 17:48:23 BST 2007

I could make some pedantic arguments... but I doubt anyone is interested.

But I'll comment on:

> In order for the difference to matter wouldn't you have to be using
> fixed points using _both_ kinds of feet in the same survey? And
> wouldn't that never happen, because each state/region chooses either
> survey feet or international feet for their legal coordinates, not
> both?

But the decision changes at state boundries (as can the refernce elevation!) so a stateline cave would have issues...
Reducing control points in both states to the same coordinate system would be needed for any adjustment to the control points.
(Although I admit this is theoretical, since I'm not aware of a significant cave that matches this.)

> What would be an actual cave-surveying situation where it would matter?

Keeping the data in a real measurement like meters, and converting it as needed for the agency(s) involved.
(Since historicly some states have even changed their minds...)