WX and unicode

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Mar 25 16:42:57 BST 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 07:39:12AM -0400, Philip Balister wrote:
> Recent version of Fedora have a unicode enabled wx installed. This leads
> to this error:
>
> checking for wx-config... /usr/bin/wx-config
> configure: error: '/usr/bin/wx-config' is for a unicode build of
> wxWidgets - Survex requires a non-unicode build
> [balister at localhost survex]$
>
> I really do not want to hack around with random wx builds to get survex
> going.

Then your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to patch aven so
that it can use a unicode build of wxWidgets.

I'd been hoping that the often suggested utf-8 mode for wxWidgets would
finally get implemented and avoid needing to do this, but that's now
being worked on, and the plans are a bit odd to say the least.

I think the best answer will be to work in utf-8 internally (as we do
already for aven generally), and just translate strings (if required)
when passing to/from wx.