[Ann] Reading Survex *.3d files with dynamic languages

Martin at ee.ethz.ch Martin at ee.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 6 12:34:06 BST 2007

Hi there

This might be of interest to those who want to use survey data
produced by Survex in other programs. I created, with the help of
SWIG, a simple wrapper around "img.c" which does all the hard work
reading the cryptic *.3d files.

Reading survey data from Python is as easy as

-----
s = Survey('/my/cave/data/lechuguilla.3d', 'Lechuguilla')

print 'Cave contains %d stations and %d shots' % (len(s.stations), len(s.lines))

# print start and end points of survey shots
for line in s.lines:
    print line
-----

You will need Python, SWIG and a C-Compiler (GCC). The code is at
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~luthi/soft/survex-swig.tar.gz

Best, Tinu