Problems building on SuSE 10.0

Loeffler, David david.loeffler at imperial.ac.uk
Sat May 27 18:04:34 BST 2006

Hi folks,

I just tried to build the current CVS survex on my laptop, on which I'm currently running SuSE 10.0.

Using the wx-GTK library bundled with SuSE, it fails in exactly the same way that SuSE 9 on my desktop machine used to, with a whole load of messages relating to the wxString and wxChar classes. Back then, the solution was to use a non-Unicode build of wxWindows, so I gave that a try, using the download link on the Survex website pointing to biolpc22.york.ac.uk.

This time, it compiled apparently fine (other than a spam of compiler warnings from sloppy code in the wx innards), and the command-line tools all work, but on trying to run Aven I get the following error message:

Fatal Error: Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected.
The library used 2.5.2 (no debug,ANSI,compiler with C++ ABI 102,wx containers,compatible with 2.4),
and your program used 2.5.2 (no debug,ANSI,compiler with C++ ABI 1002,wx containers,compatible with 2.4).
Aborted

I'm unsure of what the difference is between "C++ ABI 102" and "C++ ABI 1002" or whether it is important; but assuming it is, and that it means that the build of wx I downloaded was incompatible with my compiler version, I tried downloading the source RPM. Then I found that wouldn't build either, bombing out with an error about being unable to find wx/clntdata.h.

I'm out of my depth here. Does anyone know how I can get hold of the right versions of wx to get the thing to actually build?

Dave

--
David Loeffler
Mathematics Department