Survex 1.1.6 "reporet to authors" bug

Andy Waddington surveys at pennine.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 10:32:57 GMT 2006

On Monday 2005-10-10 21:45, Olly Betts wrote:
> You can download 1.1.6

Aha ! Interesting - when I try to run aven on my Ultra 10 SSH'ed in
from another workstation (the Sun Blade 2000), I get, on the console

"Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display localhost:11.0
Bad memory access"

then an error window pops up saying

"Bug in program detected ! Please report this to the authors."

When I click OK on this, the console continues:

Gdk-ERROR **: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)

then exits.

Aven is running under Debian Sarge on the Ultra 10 (as root, since
that is how I'm logged in to the firewall) and displaying on a dual
processor Sun Blade 2000 running Aurora Linux 2.0 beta 2 (an
UltraSparc64 port of Fedora core 3) whose desktop is running as a
normal user. X-forwarding of programs to this desktop normally works
fine (eg. I often run konqueror as root on my headless server to a
display on this machine). Although I have to admit, there is a stream
of ignorable error messages on the console when I do this, but
Konqueror seems to run just fine despite all these...

Stressing code in obscure ways like this is usually good for bringing
out bugs that don't affect most users, but which may lurk around and
cause grief eventually. I used to do this sort of thing all the time
when I did QA professionally, and got moaned at by programmers for
my trouble, so don't feel I'm picking on you in particular :-)

Andy