Survex 1.1.10

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Aug 27 23:38:48 BST 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 02:19:14PM +0100, asheshouse wrote:
> I've just downloaded 1.1.10 to try it out but am having problems installing.
>
> Installed to default location c:\program files\survex
>
> This will have installed it over a previous install (1.1.6)
>
> When I run I get the standard MS error message "aven.exe has encountered
> a problem and needs to close"

I don't think I've heard of other people having problems with 1.1.10.
My guess is that 1.1.10 dies while trying to display the error dialog
you're seeing with 1.1.6 (there have been some changes in how aven
starts up).  I'll take a look at the code and see if I can see what's
going on there.

> If I re-install 1.1.6, which used to work, it gives an error message
> "cant open message file '2057' using path 'C:\program files\survex'

This part I think I know the answer to.

By default Survex asks Windows what language to use for messages, but
you can override by setting one of the environmental variables
LC_MESSAGES, LANG, or SURVEXLANG.  I doubt anything else sets SURVEXLANG
or LC_MESSAGES (the first is SURVEX specific, the second is a UNIX
thing which shouldn't really be checked on Windows but is at present)
but I think I remember somebody saying that AutoCAD or something sets
LANG to a numeric value (2057 seems to be "Jamaican English" oddly).

Anyway, SURVEXLANG is checked first and overrides the other two, so
the simplest fix is just to set that (to "en" for English).  How you
do this depends on the version of Windows (you obviously want the
second version, but I'll include both in case somebody else hits this):

    For MS Windows 95 and 98 (and probably ME), you'll need to add a line
    containing SET SURVEXLANG=en to your AUTOEXEC.BAT script. You need to
    reboot for the change to take effect.

    For MS Windows NT4, 2000, and XP, you should proceed as follows (this
    description is written from MS Windows 2000 - it should be similar on NT4
    and XP): Open the Start Menu, navigate to the Settings sub-menu, and open
    Control Panel. Open System (picture of a computer) and click on the
    Advanced tab. Choose `Environmental Variables', and create a new one: name
    SURVEXLANG, value en. Click OK and the new value should be effective
    immediately.

For 1.1.11, I think I'll just get it to ignore LANG if it's a number
since that's never going to be useful to us.