HPGL plotters?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Sep 29 16:13:02 BST 2005

I was wondering what to do with "printhpgl".  The other printer drivers
(printps, printpcl, and printdm) are pretty much supplanted by the Aven
printing framework now, but I'm not sure what the situation is with
driving HPGL plotters from either UNIX or MS Windows printer drivers.

One option is just to let it live on as it is.  But I'd rather not have
to do a parallel implementation of printing of LRUD data - the effort
is better directed elsewhere I feel.  So this is likely to remain
centre-line only.

Another option is to slot HPGL into the "Export" framework (like printps
was the basis for the EPS export option).  This would probably lose the
ability to split output over multiple sheets, but the main reason for
using a pen plotter is that it can handle a large sheet of paper, so
that's perhaps not a problem.  (Export doesn't currently include LRUD
but I'm going to add that soon.)

Or perhaps HPGL is essentially dead now.  The big A0 or A1 "plotters"
which UK universities usually have seem to actually be inkjet or laser
printers and take PostScript.

So if anyone out there is using printhpgl, please speak up!