Survex 1.1.3 test version uploaded

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Sep 12 15:28:45 BST 2005

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 12:17:03AM +0100, Brian Clipstone wrote:
> A few problems I have found:
> I am running Survex on Win 98.
>
> Aven:     Mouse on left click does not rotate cave when you move mouse left
> or right.

That's intentional:

http://lists.tartarus.org/pipermail/survex/2004-October/000891.html

Middle button left/right rotates the cave.  Or you can use Ctrl-Left to
have a combined rotate and tilt.

>         Highlight fixed points Ect does not work. Rotate is very jerky.

Can you open the "About" dialog (in the Help menu) and cut and paste
the contents of the little window in the middle into an email?  It tells
me stuff about the opengl implementation you're using.

>         If you click on the side panel, thereafter you can not use the
> keyboard to control the display (P, L, or DELETE), and the mouse wheel does
> not work. I think this is an old problem.

Are you saying the mouse wheel stops working after clicking in the side
panel?  Or that it doesn't work at all?

The problem with key presses is that the side panel has the focus.  If
you click on the survey area that should get the focus back and they
should work again.

If starting from scratch, we'd probably not use keys like "P" and "L"
unmodified as accelerators (Ctrl+Shift+P would be less problematic) but
that's a change which would really wind up existing users.

But I've had a look at this, and I think I see a good approach.  Only a
few key presses are really useful in the tree - cursor keys,
pageup/pagedown, home, end, return.  Currently you can press a letter to
jump to the first survey/station starting with that letter, but that
doesn't really work well with the survey hierarchy so I think we can
safely lose that feature.

So I've now made it pass on any keys other than those actually useful in
the tree.  And when it passes on a key, it sets focus back to the survey
view automatically.  This seems to work well for me - try the next
snapshot once it's out and let me know what you think.

> Also there is no info in the Manual on how to enter wall data.

I'm afraid there isn't yet.  Snapshot 1.1.3 had already been delayed
over a month by the expedition, and I didn't want to delay it any
longer.  There's a very brief guide in this message:

http://lists.tartarus.org/pipermail/survex/2005-July/000985.html

I'll try to flesh that out and add it to the manual before the next
development snapshot.