Win32 - bad performance with maximized window

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Sep 12 14:07:11 BST 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 09:33:51AM -0300, Toni Cavalheiro wrote:
> The cause is the resolution. The same IBM ThinkPad can manage .3D files in
> 1280x1024 perfectly, but the performance is really bad in 1400x1050 (this is
> the standard resolution for this machine). I'm sure that the problem is not
> the machine, once the old Survex version was running OK in all resolutions.

There's a major internal difference between how 1.0.X and 1.1.X work
though - 1.1.X uses OpenGL for all the 3D rendering.  OpenGL is sort of
similar to Direct3D, except it's an open standard whereas Direct3D is
proprietary to Microsoft.

The benefits are that we can easily draw 3D models with polygons and
lighting and shading and all sorts of fancy effects, and get the
benefits of 3D acceleration from your graphics card.  Thanks to the
driving force of gamers buying ever newer and faster cards, you can buy
midrange graphics cards which offer lots of power for a very modest
price and new machines typically have 3D capabilities which would have
been top-end a few years ago.

Anyway, because of this major architectural difference, the old version
working OK doesn't really mean a lot.

> If you can check the problem, it would be great. If not, don't worry... this
> is not a critical problem. :-)

I suspect the issue is that 1400x1050 with 32 bit colour is a lot of
data to deal with and this causes the 3D acceleration hardware to
struggle.  Unfortunately I suspect there may not be much we can do about
this.

If you go to the "Help->About" dialog, there is some "System
Information" you can cut and paste.  That might be interesting to
see.