Win32 - bad performance with maximized window

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Sep 9 00:03:43 BST 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 03:30:54PM -0300, Toni Cavalheiro wrote:
> I've tested the Survex 1.1.3 for Windows and found something very strange.
> When the Aven is maximized, the performance is really bad. It's so bad that
> is impossible to use the rotation tool or the zoom in/out.
>
> But... I just changed to the "windowed" mode and software is running
> perfect. I don't know what is happening, but there is a big difference in
> use the maximized window. Any suggestion?

Maximised with the button in the title bar, or with "Full Screen Mode"?

I can't really think what in Aven's code could cause this.  The only
thing which even vaguely seems plausible is the timing code which
adjusts speed of animation to the speed of the machine.  But (a) that
should work the other way and (b) it's not used for zooming in and out
(only animating rotation, plan/elevation transitions, and the
presentation stuff).

I wonder if it's an issue with the window size going past some threshold
which is more than the hardware can comfortably handle.

If you just drag the window bigger, can you get the same problem without
it actually being maximised?

Does it happen with both maximising using the title bar button, and with
"Full Screen Mode"?

> The computer is a IBM Thinkpad, Pentium 4, CPU 2.20GHz, 512MB of RAM.

What version of Windows?