Survex 1.1.3 test version uploaded

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Sep 7 02:43:13 BST 2005

Sorry I didn't get this done before the expedition, but the good news is
that shook out a few bugs and I've had a chance to fix most of the
remaining niggles.  1.1.2 never got formally released, but I've bumped
the version number to avoid any possibility of confusion.

You can download 1.1.3 from:

http://www.survex.com/software/1.1.3/

Please note that this is a test build of the development version.
Things mostly work, but you're a lot more likely to encounter problems
than with the stable 1.0.X versions.  I'd certainly not recommend
installing this as your only survex version and going on expedition...

But please download it, try it out, and report any problems.  I'd also
appreciate success stories.

I'll be uploading a minor update to the 1.0 series which will allow it
to ignore LRUD data in the next few days.

Changes in 1.1.3:

* (Microsoft Windows version): Fixed build problems.

* cavern: Allow OMIT character (-) for left/right/up/down.

* aven: Remove an unnecessary menu separator.

* aven: Fix "Find" and "Hide" toolbar buttons to work with GTK2.0.

* aven: Make the tooltip for "Hide" show the number of found stations.

* aven: If * or ? is used in a glob-style pattern, force a non-substring match.

* aven: Enable "New Presentation" when there's a 3d file loaded, rather than
  when there's a presentation loaded.

* aven: Make entrances green in side panel tree list to match green blobs used
  in cave view.

* aven: Don't show surface labels if we're not showing surface data, etc.

* aven: Merge "Start Rotation" and "Stop Rotation" into "Toggle Rotation" and
  make "Space" the key for this.  Keep Return working "Stop Rotation" so
  existing users are happy, but don't advertise it.

* aven: Normalise filename by adding any extension used, and use the normalised
  filename for file history and window title.

* (Unix version): aven: Stop setting extra toolbar margin when using GTK2.0
  as the toolbar buttons already have a sensible margin - the extra margin is
  only needed with GTK1.2.

* aven: Fix handling of plumb legs in tube model.

* aven: Fixed swapped L and R in tube model.

* extend: Preserve UD cross-section information in extended elevation.

* extend: Add new messages for John Pybus' enhancements.

Changes in 1.1.2 (never formally released):

* Added support for LRUD data in .svx files, in .3d files, and aven can
  now load and display it on screen and on printouts.  The ability to "fake"
  LRUD data in aven is gone for now but will reappear in some form later.

* cavern: Removed support for writing Chasm's 3dx format.  We're going to
  fold any desirable missing chasm functionality into aven.

* aven: Rearranged mouse actions as discussed on the mailing list.  Added
  cursors for each different mouse action to help the user learn what each
  does.  Also added cursors for the "compass" and "clino" as well as the
  scalebar to suggest to the user that they can be dragged to change the view.

* (Unix version): aven: Don't segfault if LANG isn't a known language.

* tests/smoketest.tst: If X windows is running, check that we can run aven
  with --help and --version.

* tests/cavern.tst: Fixed cavern.tst to warn if it is skipping a test because
  no results are listed for it.  This revealed that there was a "newline" test
  which should have been called "badnewline", and was a broken testcase too!
  Fixed all these problems.

* cavern: Applied Simeon Warner's patch for handling backcompass, backclino,
  and omitted forward compass/clino readings in Compass DAT files.  Added
  a feature test for this to the testsuite.

* It no longer makes sense to have an option not to build aven or to build aven
  without OpenGL so remove old machinery for this from configure and the
  sources.

* (Unix version): configure: Check if "-lXxf86vm" is needed.

* configure: Better output for strcasecmp test.

* aven: Fix crosses to work much better.  Not a total fix - their position
  in the Z buffer isn't correct and they're rather slow to plot.

* aven: Don't regenerate the hittest grid every time the mouse moves while
  animating, which solves the mysterious pausing effect (thanks go to Martin
  Green for spotting this!)  Also clear all the status bar coordinates when
  animating.

* aven: Sort out clashing menu shortcuts in some languages.

* aven: Fixed compilation problem on x86_64

* SPUD: Pruned out stuff which has been done or which is not actually relevant
  to this branch.

* Merge various changes from 1.0 branch:

  + aven: Port over "printing from aven" functionality.

  + aven: Port over "export as" functionality,

  + Add David Loeffler's vim mode for .svx files.

* aven: Fix check for whether a label is behind us in perspective view.

* aven: Don't use an opengl list for drawing the indicators - we typically make
  a new list each time we plot them anyway.

* Remove lingering traces of support for RISC OS and pre-386 MSDOS

* aven: Set icon on non-Windows platforms too.  This means that with
  WindowMaker on Unix you get an icon on the AppIcon by default.

* configure: Update wxWindows checks to handle newer wx versions.

* Make all maintainer perl scripts "use bytes;" to avoid utf-8 double encoding
  problems.  They also all require Perl 5.8 now (hopefully this isn't an issue
  for anyone building from CVS).

* acinclude.m4: Quote macro name for fix autotools warning.

* doc/aven.sgml: "tilt up" is "'" not ",".

* aven: Add support for mousewheels (to tilt the cave).

* aven: Fixed twisted transitions to and from pitches in certain cases.

* aven: Pick a sensible initial window size when the user's desktop is spread
  over more than one monitor (works best with wx2.5 or newer, but try to do
  better with wx2.4 or earlier as well).

* aven: Initialise GfxCore slightly later to avoid visual glitch from notebook
  contents being visible before any survey is loaded.

* aven: Allow a coloured texture to be used

* aven: Don't initialise until we have data (to the user, this means the window
  is default colour (grey for most systems) not black until a survey is
  loaded).

* aven: Fixed weird "shadowed" icons.