Survex 1.1.6 development snapshot uploaded

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Oct 13 04:21:56 BST 2005

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 07:55:54PM +0100, David Loeffler wrote:
> Another interesting point: although I've updated my cvs copy to get hold
> of your fix to the other problem I mentioned, with it crashing on
> can still make it crash as follows. If I process all.svx with cavern
> 1.0.37, load something else, turn on date colouring, and load all.3d all
> is well - it notices there is no date info and loads it with no
> colouring at all. However, if I process all.svx with cavern 1.1.6 and do
> the same, it crashes on loading, with the same error at gfxcore.cc line
> 2193.

I can't reproduce this, but I've traced through the code paths, and
found another place where I was incorrectly averaging dates.  I've
fixed that.

> This suggests to me that there is something very odd going on with
> all.svx in particular. I can't work out why, since it handles
> smk-system.svx fine, although it also dies on all-with-tracks.svx.

I spotted some of the dates from all.3d were clearly bogus.  Adding
validity checking for dates in the *date command, I found several in the
loser dataset which were the wrong format.  I've checked in fixes for
these into the dataset, and added the *date checking code to Survex's
CVS.

The bad dates were in surface surveys for caves 31, 228, and 203 so
I don't think they'll be in smk-system.

> Incidentally, whenever I process anything from within Aven it throws up
> a window saying "Survex 1.1.6 Copyright 1990-2005 Olly Betts", but
> nothing else appears in that window. I presume it's supposed to print
> the usual progress messages and final summary of length, depth etc to
> the window, but (for me) nothing appears.

Hmm, it does for me, both on Linux and Windows, although on Windows if
you start Aven with a .svx file, you don't see output until cavern has
finished - you get it as it happens if you load a .svx file when Aven
is already running.

It's hard to know why.  I'm currently implementing this with wxProcess
and wxExecute and their documentation leaves a lot to the imagination.
I had to experiment a lot to get the code to spot that cavern had
finished on Windows.

I'm tempted to give up on them and just use good old popen, rolling my
own code on Windows if I have to...