Svexedit

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Feb 25 14:01:11 GMT 2005

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 01:50:04PM -0000, GRAHAM MULLAN wrote:
> There do appear to be a couple of installed files called "svexedit",
> but neither is an executable (one is simply an html file).

They should be "svxedit", not "svexedit".  One should be "svxedit.tcl"
(although Windows "helpfully" doesn't tell you extensions by default
these days).  It's a TCL script, not a binary executable - it needs TCL
installed to run.

> there is an executable called "editwrap.exe" but
> running that simply opens notepad.

http://www.survex.com/download.html?platform=windows says:

  To use the SvxEdit survey data editor, you'll also need to have TCL
  installed. If you don't have this already, you can get a MS Windows
  installer package from ActiveState or we have a mirrored copy on this
  site.

And there are hyperlinks from that paragraph to where you can download
TCL from.

If you install TCL, editwrap will run svxedit.  If you don't, it'll run
notepad.

> It may be that this feature is not popular because few people have managed
> to find it!

No.  The feedback I've had is from people who have actually tried it.