How to deal with LRUD data?

M.J. Green mjg54 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 14 15:54:40 GMT 2005

Hi,

As Phil says, a normal vector is required to make sense of LRUD data.
Cross-sections needed to be centred around a point, but this could be part
way along a leg. Although how often these mid-survey leg cross-section have
well defined centres I do not know.

Many people use a convention to define the normal vector eg. take LRUD data at 90 degrees to a leg, or at the bisector of two legs. If someone uses a consistent style they want to have a convenient way of entering it. Forcing people to use a particular convention is probably not a good idea, although easier to implement. This could probably be done in the same way that different sorts of survey leg can be entered.

As LRUD data are basically splay shots, we could consider them the same as splay shots, and NSEW data in chambers, etc.  Although Splay shots may be measured more accurately, which may mean that some people may wish to distinguish them.

The interface could be something like:

Syntax
*cross <style> <ordering>

Description <style> =
VNORMAL|NORMAL|VBISECTOR|BISECTOR|VBEARING|HNSEW|HSPLAY|SPLAY|MIDLEG|MIDLEGSPLAY|HMIDLEGSPLAY|GUESS

<ordering> = ordered list of instruments - which are valid depends on the
style.

VNORMAL
For vertical planes defined perpendicular in the horizontal plane to a leg
CrossSectionStation OtherStation (Direction) Left Right Up Down
;Direction options are F (Forward) and B (Backwards), with F being default
1 2 F 1.4 1.2 0.1 0.5
1 2 F 1.4 1.2 0.1 0.5

NORMAL
For planes defined perpendicular to a leg - perhaps nobody does this
CrossSectionStation OtherStation (Direction) Left Right Up Down
1 2 towards 1.4 1.2 0.1 0.5
1 2 away 1.4 1.2 0.1 0.5

VBISECTOR
For vertical planes defined by the bisector of two legs in the
horizontal plane
FromStation CrossSectionStation ToStation Left Right Up Down

BISECTOR
For planes defined by the bisector of two legs - perhaps nobody does this
FromStation CrossSectionStation ToStation Left Right Up Down
1 2 3 1.4 1.2 0.1 0.5

VBEARING
For vertical planes defined by a compass direction
CrossSectionStation Bearing Left Right Up Down
1 324 1.4 1.2 0.1 0.5

HNSEW
For horizontal planes
CrossSectionStation  North South East West NE SE SW NE

HSPLAY
For horizontal splay shots
CrossSectionStation Compass Tape (Direction)

SPLAY
For splay shots
CrossSectionStation Compass Clino Tape (Direction)

MIDLEG
For vertical planes defined perpendicular in the horizontal plane to
a leg, centred somewhere on a centreline
FirstStation SecoundStation Proportion|Distance (Direction) Left Right Up Down ;Direction options are F
(Forward) and B (Backwards), with F being default 1 2 F 1.4 1.2 0.1 0.5 1 2
F 1.4 1.2 0.1 0.5

MIDLEGSPLAY
For mid splay shots
FirstStation SecoundStation Proportion|Distance Compass Clino Tape (Direction)

HMIDLEGSPLAY
For horizontal mid splay shots
FirstStation SecoundStation Proportion|Distance Compass Tape (Direction)

GUESS
For when we do not know the plane the LRUD data was entered. Uses
some sort of guess, either perpendicular to the first leg it was included
in or the bisector of the first two. Probably the direction would point in
the direction of increasing numbers. i.e. taking LRUD data in the direction
in which you are surveying.
CrossSectionStation Left Right Up Down

It is missing the ability the choose a weighting between various legs, i.e. similar to BISECTOR, but more arbitary, perhaps that is rather akward to actually use.

Points on arbitrary cross-sections, could be entered as a series of splay
shots. Let me know if the list above misses any way that cross-section
dimensions are commonly recorded.

Cheers,
Martin