How to deal with LRUD data?

Carlos Henrique Grohmann guano at usp.br
Mon Feb 14 13:05:46 GMT 2005

In my opinion, LRUD data should be dealt a little different than it is by most
software. You see, create a 3D view of the cave is nice, beautifull, but that's
not the most important thing. Most people draw their maps in CAD or design
software (like CorelDraw, Illustrator), so the basic need is a centerline with
indications of left-right in each station for plan view (or up-down for
profiles). I'm not a good programmer (just started to lern C), but I don't
thonk that's to hard to do, it could be a 'pseudo-leg' with bearing 90 degrees
from the survey shot itself.
One thing I notice about most software, is that they always assume that LRUD
belong to the 'from' station. that's not so good, because you always have to
create false shots to be sure all stations have their LRUD data, like this:

from  to  tape  compass  clino  L  R  U   D
1     2   10    45       2      2  1  0.5 1   (LRUD of station 1)
2     3   24    56       -1     1  0  4   1   (LRUD of station 2)
2     4   23    67       1      -  -  -   -
2     5   12    180      1      -  -  -   -
2     6   20    13       6      -  -  -   -
4     4   -      -        -     1  2  0   0.5 (LRUD of station 4)
5     5   -      -        -     2  1  2   0   (LRUD of station 5)
6     7   4     89       -1     1  0  4   1   (LRUD of station 6)

It would be nice if the program could understant from which station LRUD data
belongs to, like this:

from  to  tape  compass  clino  station L  R  U   D
1     2   10    45       2       1      2  1  0.5 1   (LRUD of station 1)
2     3   24    56       -1      2      1  0  4   1   (LRUD of station 2)
2     4   23    67       1       4      1  2  0   0.5 (LRUD of station 4)
2     5   12    180      1       5      2  1  2   0   (LRUD of station 5)
2     6   20    13       6       6      1  0  4   1   (LRUD of station 6)
6     7   4     89       -1    ........

This is a very simple way to solve the problem, and make easier to input data.
(note: this is how most brazillian speleo groups collect survey data).

I would like id Survex had something like this. I have tried Therion, but I
couldn't get it to work well. I'm sorry, but in my opinion, the Therion Book
dows not explain well how to work with LRUD data and how to export centerline.

That's it, just my two cents.

Best regards

Carlos Grohmann - Guano
GPME - www.gpme.org.br

          Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
   Geologist M.Sc - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
        Linux User #89721  - guano at usp dot br