aven: station names garbled in side panel

Mark Shinwell Mark.Shinwell at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 14 15:36:47 BST 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 07:22:26PM -0400, Simeon Warner wrote:
> I've been using aven with a large survey (26k stations) and find that the
> scrolling list display in the side panel is rather garbled - the names are
> printed much too close and overwrite each other (screen grab at
> http://www.cs.cornell.edu/people/simeon/tmp/aven-side-panel.png). With a
> smaller set (4k stations) I find that sometimes it is okay, sometimes not.

I have seen the same effect before: I believe that this is a GTK bug.
I'm not sure if it is still broken when using GTK version 2---this
requires a new build of wxWindows which I'm not sure is entirely stable.

> Also, a more general question: I found the station name display on the
> main window rather small and ended up grepping the code for likely words
> to find the FONT_SIZE and then editing/recompiling. Are there any plans to
> have some convenient way of setting such preferences?

Something rather more convenient would be nice (although totally
arbitrary font sizes will not be so easy for the OpenGL version).

Perhaps once I finish my PhD thesis in December then I might have time
to fix some of these things...

Mark
--
Mark Shinwell -- http://mrs30.quns.cam.ac.uk/ -- Mark.Shinwell at cl.cam.ac.uk
Theory and Semantics Group, University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory