Calculating statistics from .3d files

John Halleck John.Halleck at utah.edu
Fri Sep 3 14:42:05 BST 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, David Loeffler wrote:

> Indeed. It could easily be extended in various useful ways (for example, to
> calculate the point furthest from any entrance, or the minimum distance
> between two caves) - once you have the convex hull lots of things become
> easy.

  Just because I used to exploit it, and maybe someone else wants to.

  I used to use the convex hull to find appropriate rotation angles
  to make the map fit the page best.
  The mathematical observation is that the minimal width enclosing
  rectangle has an edge that lines up exactly on some edge of the
  convex hull.  So to find the true minimal width you only need to
  try the few orientations that line up with the edges.

  For what it is worth...