Survex Digest, Vol 4, Issue 3

M.J. Green mjg54 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Oct 9 22:03:42 BST 2004

> With daily variations in magnetic declination in the UK typically 0.2 -
> 0.5 degrees (see http://www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk/observatories.html for
> examples) it seems to me to be good practice to calibrate the compass
> against a known physical baseline at the start of each day's work. Just
> taking the published long-term rate of change of declination would be a
> poor second-best and not something to be encouraged!
>
> Mike

Hi,

Thanks for pointing out the magnitude of the daily fluctuations. In order
to make it worth while correcting for these daily variations, the accuracy
to which you can calculate the daily fluctuation needs to be similar to the
inaccuracy that you are correcting for.

Using a magnetic compass normally, I would guess that from a single reading
0.5-1 degree errors are quite common. In order to correct for the 0.2-0.5
degree errors (decreasing error by a half), then I would guess you would
need about 4 independent measurements(n^-0.5) to do just as good a job as
ignoring these deviations. With 9 measurements you would be getting to a
position where you are probably getting an improvement (in the UK). So it
seems to me that it would be quite reasonable to either correct for this or
not, depending on the previous data available, the willingness of surveyors
to do detailed calibration and the daily variation at the location that you
are surveying.

Of course in order to determine errors in the compass, some calibration is
needed, but this data can be collected over multiple survey trip
calibrations. This is based on the assumption that the compass errors are
long term rather than short term, due for example by occasionally going out
of calibration when hit, or perhaps someone has information about that
assumption.

Regards,
Martin