Survex on a PDA?

Wookey wookey at aleph1.co.uk
Fri Oct 8 15:09:58 BST 2004

+++ Josep Guarro [04-10-08 15:53 +0200]:
> I was just thinking if it is possible to run Survex (Cavern & Aven) on
> the PDA Sharp Zaurus wich is operated with Linux OS.
>
> Is it possible?

It should be - I ran survex on an ipaq a year or so ago. I used xcaverot
rather than aven at that time (much smaller footprint) and it now has a
'pda' mode which is automatically used when the screen is smaller than VGA.
This has smaller controls and adds a 'left/right click' mode button to deal
with the single-type-of-click touchscreen control.

Last week I got aven and therion and survex installed on a 'minilaptop/big
PDA' which is arm based (with a keybaord and 800x600 screen) - ideal for
expeditions. Aven is no problem if installed atop a debian system. Getting
it going on something like the Zaurus (or Open Zaurus/Open embedded) is
harder as all the library version, and some of the names, are different. So
expect some faffage (or have a cross-dev environment targetted at the
machine in question).

Therion has a big footprint due to the need for tetex. A smaller version of
this would be good....

> It should be much better than dealing with Auriga on the Palm....

It is pretty nifty. Again - some changes are needed for touscreen control
(no right-click).