Survex the Movie

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:22:20 +0000

Someone reported a problem viewing my previous example with Windows
Media Player 9.  I suspect that's because I was just producing the raw
data, so I've now added the usual MPEG wrapper which seems to help.

Here's a larger sample (sorry, probably a bit big for modem users,
unless you're patient [~15 minutes?]).  This one also shows depth
fogging - more distant cave passage appears "faded" to give the viewer
more depth cues:

http://www.survex.com/~olly/loser.mpg
(4782KB, 1m37 duration)

If you have any trouble playing this, please let me know!

This shows a fly around some of CUCC's explorations under the Loser
plateau in Austria.  The movie starts near the Bergrestaurant in the car
park at the top of the toll road, then flies across to an outcrop of
rock (Weiße Warze, also known as "Bunter's Bulge" or "the Nipple"), then
skimming past the entrance to 136 (Steinschlagschacht) to an overhead
view of 161a (Kaninchenhöhle), then to a view looking horizontally into
161d, then flying over the northern-most reaches of Kaninchenhöhle,
across a tantalising gap to Razordance in 204 (Steinbruckenhöhle) to a
vertical view down 204's entrance, then dropping down to Razordance with
the final view looking across from the end of Razordance to 182
(Puffball and Icing Sugar Cave) in the far distance.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 06:13:02PM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> I wonder if [ffmpeg is not in debian] due to patent worries or simply
> because it's not packaged.

There's a build option to disabled all patent-encumbered code, which
still leaves several formats, including MPEG1 (which is what I've been
using so far).