Colour by depth in HEAD: survey viewing blues.

Mark Shinwell Mark.Shinwell@cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:34:07 +0000

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 07:25:03PM +0000, John P N Pybus wrote:
> I've built the pre-1.0.26 code from CVS head.  I like the new depth
> gradient in aven!  However the tones are considerably darker than the
> previous version.  The oranges/yellows are ok, but the blue is now
> pretty hard to see against the black background.
>
> I think that ideally a gradient which is uniformly bright (in a
> perceptual sense) should be chosen.  For extra points it should be
> linear in perceived colour difference.  At the very least, can we
> brighten up those blues a little though?

Create a gradient in Gimp and export it as a POV-Ray gradient file.
Then in the "src" directory run

	./gdtconvert <mypovrayfile >avenpal.h

and recompile.  (I think that should still work!).  Let us know when you
have one of your choosing :-)

> On an unrelated note, I noticed screen shots of a colour by year
> version. I'd currently like to produce colour by survey grade.  No doubt
> I'll find a way to hack it in as is, but have you thought of creating
> general 'stylesheets' which could be used to specify all of the viewing
> parameters (and let you choose any depth gradient you fancy, of course)?

I'd thought of something like that, but have never had time to implement
it...

Mark
--
Mark Shinwell -- http://mrs30.quns.cam.ac.uk/ -- Mark.Shinwell@cl.cam.ac.uk
Theory and Semantics Group, University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory