Degree and minutes survey data

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:33:04 +0100

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 02:59:16PM +0200, Stacho Mudrak wrote:
> I've been processing some (quite new) survey data of people, that used
> clinometer with degrees and minutes. Is is possible to enter into survex
> somehow for example value 10 degrees and 20 minutes in it's native form (not
> like 10.3333333, but something like 10:20 or 10.20')? Or how is it solved,
> if I use tape with feets and inches?

It's not currently possible to enter degrees and minutes, or feet and
inches.  But that's really because nobody's actually asked about it
before.

I'm happy to add support if we can agree on a format, ideally based on
the standard survey book notation for recording such readings.

For feet and inches, I guess <FEET>'<INCHES>" is the natural format.
Degree/minute/second would naturally be <DEG>°<MIN>'<SEC>" but a degree
symbol isn't trivial to type for most users.  <DEG>.<MIN>' seems
reasonable - is that fairly standard?