v0.01 .3d file

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 02:08:29 +0100

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 01:43:23PM +0100, John P N Pybus wrote:

> Does anyone know what the last version of cavern to write v0.01 files is (and
> where I can find it)?

If you mean the really ancient "ASCII" variant of the 3d file format
(which you used to get from "survex -a" and "cavern -a"), then according
to the OLDNEWS file, 0.98-prerelease3 is the last version.  You can find
that in:

http://www.survex.com/software/test/0.98-prerelease3/

If however you mean the binary 0.01 format, you can easy make a recent
version of cavern write that if you don't mind compiling from sources.
You just need to set the variable img_output_version to 1 before calling
img_open_write().

> Also any documentation on the v3 format would be handy.

I've been working on a description of it which I've been intending to
put in the docs, but have failed to so far:

http://www.survex.com/~olly/3dformat.htm

Martin Green has actually written some Java code based on this document,
which suggests it's reasonably complete and correct rather than the
"very provisional" the warning suggests.

Martin intended to upload his code once it was working well, as it's
likely to be of wider use.  This hasn't happened yet as far as I'm
aware.  Is it in a fit state to upload Martin?

There's likely to be a 3d v4 fairly soon to allow LRUD data to be stored
in the 3d file.  I'm not currently sure how extensive the changes will
be, but it's likely that it'll be simpler to write code to read though.