Free Rotation Mode in Aven

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Mon, 27 May 2002 01:04:49 +0100

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 06:46:40PM -0400, Lev Bishop wrote:
> On Sun, 26 May 2002, Olly Betts wrote:
>
> > Does anyone actually use aven's "Free Rotation Mode"?  Mark suggested it's
> > probably a failed experiment and should be removed, and I'm inclined to
> > agree.  However, I don't want to annoy people who are using it (although
> > I'm not sure it's actually documented anywhere...)
>
> It's not as well-implemented as the equivalent functionality in caverot (the
> tilt-up tilt-down keys). What I like to do in caverot is set the cave
> spinning and while that is happening use those keys to tilt up and down a
> little.
[...]
> I find aven's free-rotation scheme rather confusing and I get the cave
> oriented right mostly by trial and error.

This sounds like it would be better addressed by fixing tilt-up and tilt-down
in aven so that they don't temporarily pause auto-rotation.  There's no good
reason why it doesn't work the same way.

It's also occured to me that it would be more natural to have tilt and rotate
on the same mouse button, rather than zoom and rotate together.  Usually I
find I want to zoom on a given view, and the slight changing in bearing from
"mouse wobble" is annoying.  That would give an effect somewhat like
free-rotation mode, but probably with a more natural feel.  Anyway, I'll look
at making the mouse actions remap-able at some point.