cad3d converting problems

Roger Schuster roger@r-schuster.de
Tue, 14 May 2002 18:31:15 +0200

Hello all,

I played around a little bit with the brand new Survex 1.0.8 release on a
Windows XP machine. I tested the cad3d tool with some of my own data and
with the Austrian samples from www.survex.com.

Because I used Compass (a surveying software from the U.S.)  in the last
years I first was interested in the capabilities of the -P option which
converts *.3d files to *.plt (the native file format of the Compass Cave
Viewer). A smaller cave (~1000 m, ~60 stations) from my own data was
converted without problems. The *.plt file looks in Cave Viewer the same as
the *.3d file in Aven. The all.3d from the Survex sample data was a bigger
problem. The elevation looks in Compass nearly the same as in Aven but the
plan view in Compass is very distorted. You can see the survey crossed by
vertical lines - looks like a cave map with a bar code printed on it. :-)

The DXF export of large caves from the Austrian data seems to be
problematic, too. Corel Draw 9 crashed if I imported all.dxf.

Happy caving

Roger