Backsights

Graham Mullan graham.mullan@breathemail.net
Tue, 14 May 2002 08:37:08 +0100

| You can set the calibrations, units, and standard deviations for compass
and
| backcompass (and clino and backclino) separately:
|
| *calibrate compass 0.5 degrees
| *calibrate backcompass 0.0 degrees
|
| Or if they're the same, you can set both at once:
|
| *calibrate compass backcompass 0.5 degrees

This means that you must ensure that each of the two instruments is used
exclusively  in one direction during the course of the trip. If they are
swapped at any time (or, as in the 1974 data that I have each set
"leapfrogged" the other) then this approach is invalid. Previously, with one
instrument, you just needed to be aware whether a reading was forwards or
backwards.

Graham
--
graham.mullan@breathemail.net

Tel 0117 9502556 or 07887 637064

Information in this message would be confidential if I were not sending it
out over the Internet! If you are not the intended recipient, I hope you do
not find it overly boring.