Compass .plt file sample

Wookey wookey@aleph1.co.uk
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:03:12 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon 11 Mar, Olly Betts wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 02:11:52PM -0500, Philip Balister wrote:
> > There is a sample Compass .plt file at:
> >
> > http://filebox.vt.edu/users/balister/cave/survey/ElvisGrotto1/
> >
> > Username: anonymous  Password: secretcave
>
> Trying to write a convertor given a single sample file is rather like
> trying to learn to drive a car by standing on a street corner for a couple
> of hours.

That was actually the result of a private mail from me to Philip.

> Is there a definition or description of the .plt format anywhere?

Being the compass format it is very well-documented in the compass docs.

> Or is source code available to generate or read it?

ask larry - maybe.

> > Hopefully someone beats me to writing a .3d to .plt file convertor :)
>
> Once we know what to generate it shouldn't be hard to modify cad3d to
> produce it (this currently converts .3d files to DXF or Sketch format).

Indeed. I was just looking at the .plt file with a view to a quick and dirty
perl hack to fix philip's immediate problem. Being able to output .PLT files
is probably useful, but fixing carto (which appears to be free software) to
read survex .3d files is probably a better approach in this case.