Printing in Survex

Michael Lake mikel@speleonics.com.au
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 13:49:27 +1000

Philip Ballister wrote:
> I usually print to a file, then use ImageMagick to convert to png or gif
> and view it that way.
> printps -o cave.ps cave.3d
> convert cave.ps cave.png
> I wasn't aware there was a problem previewing files :)
> The process for learning Unix and widders is pretty similar. You pound your
> head against a wall for a time. The difference is that, over time, the unix
> experience becomes much less painful, but with widders, the pain increases.

I use the same method as Martin. There are other applications that can
be used to 'preview' the file before printing without adding more code
to survex applications so they can preview a file. I like the UNIX
approach where one tool does one job; and does it well. I tend to agree
with Philip in that there is really no problem at present with
previewing files, even with using windows. The user just needs to not
expect to have a previewer built into survex programs like most windows
programs do (and the duplication of code and different interfaces for
the previewing etc). Adding print preview adds more code, more work for
the developers,and more opportunity for bugs.
Keep it simple and functional.

Just my 2c worth.
Best wishes
Mike
Michael Lake
Active caver, Linux enthusiast and interested in anything technical.