Survex (interface expectation)

Robert Smallshire robert@smallshire.org.uk
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:44:06 +0100

The current, rather misguided attitudes surfaces on the Survex mailing list
distress me rather.  They are all too symptomatic of the attitude of too
many software engineers - namely that the programmer is right and all users
are clueless idiots.

Although I rely on heavily open-source software every day (gcc, Qt, Linux,
Perl, etc ad nauseum) I find the whole open-source free software movement is
tainted by these attitudes of software developer zealots who religiously
insist that their own tried and tested way (which may well work well for
them) is the *only* way.

As somebody who is both a software engineer and a domain-expert (in my case
a structural geologist) I am in an ideal position to create the
'best-of-class' application for the benefit of my users. This involves
spending a lot of time on 'usability' - if I want people to use the tool, it
has to be usable at _their_ level, not mine.  This doesn't mean that I am
clever and they are stupid - it just means that they are not software
engineers - they are geologists.

Likewise, many of the members of this list will have a dual interest, in
both the problem domain - cave surveying - and the means to its solution,
namely Survex software development.  These people too are in an ideal
position to create a 'best-of-class' application usable by cave surveyors.
I'm sure there are many opinions on how this is best achieved, but I can
guarentee that alienating your less technically literate users and potential
users by being abusive to them will result in failure and obscurity for the
project - and deservedly so.

I have always suspected that the reason many software engineers shy away
from graphical user interface design for scientific problems is not because
the command line and a text file necessarily offer more power or
flexibility, but because designing an effective graphical user interface for
such an application is actually a very difficult thing to do well. I have
seen graphical user interfaces which offer power and flexibility well beyond
what it would be possible to achieve on the command line. In a sense
providing only a command-line UI is the easy way out for those not willing
to face up to the real challenge of making the thing easy to use by the
average user.

Now I do not wish to critise the Survex dev team - Survex very largely does
what it says on the tin, and in the final analysis you get what you pay
for - but some of the attitudes aired lately on the list are not condusive
to actually having any users in future - and software without users is
nothing.

Rob Smallshire
Senior Development Engineer
& Structural Geologist