Survex

David Gibson david@caves.org.uk
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:20:32 +0100

In article "Survex" in <!survex>, on Wed, 10 Jul 2002
Wookey <wookey@aleph1.co.uk> wrote

>Can someone who uses Windows help Bill out please?

Wookey - you didnt give Bill's email address, so Im posting this to the
list.

>On Sun 07 Jul, Bill Varnedoe wrote:
>> I have loaded the program, but where is the "run" button?? I don't
>> see how to load in my raw survey data.

Well, Ive never used Survex, and do not own a copy, but I do recall some
discussion of this point from a few months ago.

The short answer - which seems a bit bizarre to me - is that Survex does
not have a Run option.  Apparently, you should create your survey data
in a simple text editor with a file extension of .svx.  You can then
right-click on this file in Windows Explorer, and select the 'process'
option, which will start up Survex and process your data.

If youre not used to text editing you may run into problems. You can
create your file in Word, if you like, (but Notepad might be better) but
you must save it as a plain ascii text file with a file extension of
.svx, or else Survex will not understand it.

I know the people developing Survex are not really Windows people, but
the apparent (bearing in mind I havent bothered to look :-) lack of a
'standard' Windows Open / Save / Run menu seems a bit of an omission. I
expect its provision is way down the list of priorities. Viz...

In article "Survex 1.0.13 released" in <!survex>, on Fri, 28 Jun 2002
Olly Betts <olly@survex.com> wrote
>* Experimental support for Chinese (LANG=zh) - only a few messages are
>  currently translated.

Olly had this to say, on the lack of a Run command, back in February...