LRUD (was Re: Roadmap)

Martin Green mjg54@cam.ac.uk
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:00:32 +0100

Hi,
I think that you should probably stick to vertical plane measurements and
possibly horizontal plane measurements in four orthogonal directions.  The
ability to reverse legs is definitely required.  You may also want to have
commands to swap between common measuring methods, but only implement the
bisector vertical planes for the moment.  But I guess that you have already
thought of all that.
The two uses of the LRUD data is to draw tick marks or the centreline print
outs for drawing up, and for making pretty solid caves rotate on the screen.
For the tick marks the ability to reverse LR data is all that is required,
as the schemes do not vary that much and the surveyor can interpolate around
radial lines. The solid model, is never going to be that accurate just from
the surveyors written notes.
I suspect getting much more complicated is not worth it, and is a problem
that should be tackled once the ability to draw up plans and elevations is
implemented.
When you say you are putting in back sights, you should probably clarify
weather these count as just repeat measurements, or you are implementing a
system of allowing variable magnetic field.  If you do both, due to the
reduction of accuracy of the variable magnetic field.  I assume that the
averaging can be done to produce a new value of the reading, with a new
error, which can be processed as before.
Martin