Survex 0.98 prerelease 6 available

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:26:29 +0100

This prerelease is available for all platforms:

http://www.survex.com/

If you find any problems with this prerelease, please report them promptly.
Mark and I are both off to CUCC's Austria expedition at the end of the week,
and I'd like to be able to release 0.98 before we go.

This version significantly improves the usability with the default file
associations under MS Windows:

* Aven is now up-to-date - the release building script had stopped
  rebuilding it.

* The "Print" option on .3d files should now work.

* The "Sort by ..." options on .err files now re-sorts the .err file in
  place - so right-click to chose how you want it sorted, then double-click
  to open it in notepad.

* Processing a .3d file now generates a ".log" file instead of a ".inf" file
  - this .log file contains any warnings or errors from processing in
  addition to the information previously in the .inf file.

* You can now produce a .pos file by selecting "Convert for hand plotting"
  on a .3d file's right-click menu.

Any further suggestions for improvements welcome.  I realise some more file
icons would be useful (for .err and .pos files in particular).

Full list of user-visible changes between 0.98-prerelease5 and
0.98-prerelease6:

* printwin: fixed new bug introduced in 0.98-prerelease4 which caused
  an internal error.

* printwin: exit cleanly if no printer drivers are installed.

* aven: surface surveys weren't being drawn when viewing from above
  (bug introduced in recent version).

* aven/caverot/xcaverot/print*/cadgen/extend/diffpos/3dtopos: --survey
  command line option once more trims specified prefix from station
  names like it did in xcaverot/caverot in 0.98-prerelease4.

* sorterr: Added --replace option to sort the .err file and replace
  the original with the sorted version (for use by MS Windows file
  associations); cope with empty .err file.

* cavern: Added --log option to send output to a .log file.

* cavern: --quiet no longer suppresses node statistics.

* extend: give up if the .3d file is truncated or corrupted part way
  through.

* (MS Windows version): sorterr.exe and 3dtopos.exe were missing;
  improvements to documentation; assorted fixes and improvements to
  file associations.

* print*: reduced memory usage.

* Fixed dropping of first character of survey station names when
  reading old .3d files.

* (MS Windows version): aven.exe wasn't rebuilt for 0.98-prerelease -
  fixed the dodgy script.