Survex 0.98 prerelease 4 available

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 00:07:42 +0100

This prerelease is available for all platforms:

http://www.survex.com/

I've also merged Mark's aven screenshots into the main website, and made a
few other small updates.

Phil believes he's found and fixed the printwin problems - can anyone who
tried it before and had problems try this version and let us know if it
works or not.

You can now restrict the view in caverot/xcaverot to a sub-survey (we'll add
this to aven and the printer drivers shortly).  This feature requires
additional information in the .3d file, so won't work on .3d files produced
by early versions of cavern.

It looks like 0.98 should be out before the end of next week when CUCC head
for Austria for our summer expedition.  We should get most of the stuff
wanted for 1.0 done while out there, as well as giving the recent changes a
good pounding.

Full list of user-visible changes between 0.98-prerelease3 and
0.98-prerelease4:

* diffpos: list added and deleted stations in sorted order; better
  error reporting.

* 3dtopos: removed hardcoded limit on number of stations (was 100000);
  better error reporting.

* Further tweaks to charset handling - look at LC_* as well as LANG;
  Check GUI codepage under MS Windows.

* cavern: Allow *copyright/*date/*instrument/*team/*title between
  *begin and *export.

* cavern: Fixed typo which prevented *instrument from being recognised
  as a valid command.

* cavern: removed option to produce ascii .3d files.

* cavern: on error, remove any existing .inf file for consistency with
  .3d and .err files.

* cavern: interleaved nosurvey data style now works; nosurvey legs now
  count as a "use" of a fixed point.

* cavern: give at most 5 warnings about use of any particular
  deprecated feature.  Otherwise processing an old dataset just gives
  an avalanche of warnings which buries any other warnings or errors.

* cavern: implemented `*infer equates'.

* aven: if a .3d file is truncated or corrupted part way through, aven
  would previously load part of it without complaint.  Fixed to
  complain and not load anything.

* printwin: fixed problem where it hung when waiting for input.

* print*: Added --output command line option to override the output
  setting in the .ini file (ignored by printwin).

* .3d files now store prefixes for legs (the prefix is taken from the
  "from" station of the leg);  Station names and leg prefixes in .3d
  files are now stored compressed.  Despite now storing prefixes for
  legs, .3d files are now typically 25%-33% smaller than before.

* xcaverot/caverot: Added --survey command line option which restricts
  the view to a sub-survey in the .3d file.  e.g.:
  "caverot --survey 161.dream all.3d"

* (MS Windows version): added explorer bindings for sorterr.

* cavern/xcaverot/sorterr: fixed --help output to include long options.

* Minor documentation updates.