Survex 0.95 released

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 18:40:31 +0000

Get it from the usual place:

http://www.survex.com/download.html

All versions are there apart from RISC OS and the 286 MS-DOS version,
which should be available shortly.

The only change since prerelease 7 is for Linux: aven now comes in a
separate RPM.

Here's my list of things I'd definitely like in 0.96:

* 3dtodxf: merge in Leandro's grid patch.  Look at including something
  similar in printer drivers, caverot, and xcaverot too.

* 3dtodxf: enhance to allow elevation view to be output for use in
  coreldraw, etc.

* xcaverot: investigate Mike Lake's delayed dragging problem.

* xcaverot: allow multiple surveys to be loaded.

* caverot: see if we can now get accents in messages under DOS.

* Installer program for generating file associations under Windows.

* Update documentation (2 volunteers are currently working on this).

Here's the user visible changes for between 0.93 and 0.95 (0.94 was got
passed the prerelease stage).

Most notable changes:

* cavern: *fix with error values (one for same all round, two for horizontal
  and vertical, three for x, y, z)

* cavern: Merged patches for generating .3dx files for chasm

* cavern: added data styles "TOPOFIL" (like tape/compass/clino but with a
  counter instead of the tape), "CARTESIAN" (dx, dy, dz), and "NOSURVEY"
  (for unsurveyed connections between surveys)

* cavern: can now suppress "unused fixed point" error on a station by
  station basis by using: "*fix <station> reference <coords>"

* cavern: new command "*require <version>" to allow survey data to specify
  the minimum survex version required to process it

* print*: now search multiple print.ini files so you can override settings
  in the shipped file rather than having to modify it.  Search order is:
  ~/.survex/print.ini (unix only), $SURVEXHOME/myprint.ini,
  $SURVEXHOME/print.ini

* If a station is only referenced once, and that reference is in a *equate
  and with an explicit prefix (e.g. "*equate 1 possibletypo.6"), a warning
  is issued.

Other changes:

* Put aven in a separate RPM package since it depends on a stack of
  libraries which not everyone will want to have to install.

* Updated all translations.

* If no stations are fixed, the first station mentioned is supposed to be.
  But on some platforms (e.g. x86 Linux) the second station was being used
  instead (regression test firststn).

* 3dtodxf: Fixed calculation of bounding box if all coordinates are negative
  in one or more axes.

* Added Wookey's man pages - these just list the command line options and
  point to the HTML documentation.

* Fixed RISC OS not treating "foo." as a directory

* Moved unresolvable issues from BUGS to ZOMBIES

* cavern: Fixed articulation code bug (handling of some cases of components
  with multiple fixed points); added regression test

* cavern: "*begin" / "*end foo" now gives more explicit error

* xcaverot: you can now set environmental variables XCAVEROT_FONTNAME,
  XCAVEROT_INDICATOR_RADIUS

* extend: now starts from highest station with only one leg.  If no such
  station exists then revert to the previous behaviour of starting from
  the highest station (but complain if we have no legs at all).

* cavern: line numbers now correct for .svx files with Mac style lineends

* cavern: improved error reporting in several cases

* caverot: on RISC OS now fall back to using 2 or even just one screen
  bank if we can't find a mode where we can create 3 banks

* xcaverot: rotation/zoom changed to be the same way round as caverot

* diffpos, extend, xcaverot, caverot: Now use cmdline library to parse
  command line arguments and so support --help, --version, etc.

* hto2svx, svx2hto, and survex wrapper now all support --help and --version

* `configure --disable-aven' now disables building of aven

* Documentation brought more up to date.

* cavern: Fix for bug reported by Leandro - cavern would segfault in
  articulate() on second *solve; added regression test (bug3)

* xcaverot: Applied patches from Leandro: fix menu buttons, keyboard
  shortcuts, colour of station markers, scalebar length and text display,
  mouse right-button "cave drag", centre-button "plan/elevation switch",
  zoom in/out menu button

* cavern: Fixed "matrix wouldn't invert" problem with certain datasets;
  added regression test (bug2)