Linux RPM builds

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:14:30 +0100

If you aren't a Linux user, you probably want to stop reading now.

The 0.95 rpms I uploaded appear to work, but there are a couple of issues
which it would be good to resolve.

(a) Some users may not have all the gnome stuff installed, but aven needs
this so to install the rpm you have to override the dependencies using:

rpm -i --nodeps survex-0.95-1.i386.rpm

And you then have a non-working aven binary installed.  This is unpleasant.
To make things worse, aven requires gtk-- 1.0, and doesn't work with gtk--
1.2.  (Mark: is it likely you'll have time to update it in the near future?)

(b) Some users may not have X installed and would rather just install cavern
and the printer drivers.  The same workaround as (a) works.

I imagine that few (if any) are in category (b), so perhaps the `--nodeps'
approach is reasonable here.  But perhaps we should have a separate
survex-aven-0.95 RPM with aven in, which can be installed in addition to the
base survex RPM?  We could have a similar extra RPM for xcaverot, but I
wonder if the additional complication is worth it.

Any thoughts?