spud beasts

Mark Shinwell Mark.Shinwell@cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 00:04:57 +0100

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 09:02:27PM +1100, Michael Lake wrote:
> I must weigh in here and agree with Wookey. As a user (I
> don't program in Java) I find generally find it slow and
> buggy. Its implementation across various platforms from Mac,
> Wintex, Linux on Intel and Alpha and Solaris is highly
> variable and seems immature at present - that is an
> application will work fine on Solaris slow on Linux and GPF
> on Windows yet another app will be fine on Windows and
> refuse to run at all on a UNIX platform.

[ignoring the fact that Solaris is a UNIX platform...]
Agreed.  One of my machines runs at 400Mhz and to be quite honest, I expect
things to run _fast_ on there.  [After all, you RISC OS users remember how
fast RISC OS ran on an ARM 2 machine :-]  Unfortunately Java doesn't.

Mark

--
Mark Shinwell -- http://mrs30.quns.cam.ac.uk -- Mark.Shinwell@cl.cam.ac.uk
Theory and Semantics Group, University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory